Have you heard about the new ethics CEU requirement that ASHA is rolling out, effective 2020? Many individual states have also recently implemented an ethics course requirement as part of the renewal process for individual state SLP licenses as well.
For ASHA, the new requirements are effective January 1, 2020, and require that at least one hour of the required thirty hours of continuing education every three years be in the area of ethics.
In my state of Illinois, starting in the 2017-2019 cycle, we are required to have one hour of ethics continuing education to renew our IDFPR license (which is a two year cycle, which always starts on November 1 and runs to October 31, two years later).
You’ll definitely want to check your own state, but here are a few current requirements that I am aware of:
- Illinois – 1 hour every 2 years
- Texas – 2 hours every 2 years
- Kentucky – 2 hours every 2 years
- Ohio – 2 hours every 2 years
- Wisconsin – 2 hours every 2 years
Personally, I find these different year requirements make my head hurt! What I’ve done is put reminders on my Google calendar on January 1 of each year that I will need to make sure to have an ethics course – so, for example, I’ll need to take one hour in either 2020 or 2021 to meet the requirements for Illinois (November 1, 2019 – October 31, 2021 cycle) and ASHA (January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2022 cycle), and then wait until 2023 to take another hour between January and October, so it will count for both licenses (Illinois – November 1, 2021 to October 31, 2023 and ASHA – January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2025).
If you are looking for reasonably priced courses to meet your ethics requirements, no matter the year, I’ve found some for you! Check out these online offerings below:
- Bilinguistics: Navigating Ethical Predicaments in Your Work with Diverse Students Length: 1 hour Cost: Free
- ISHA: The Illinois Speech-Language Hearing Association offers a one hour course on Introduction to Ethics that is free for ISHA members – it is available for $35 to nonmembers (which includes out of state SLPs).
- Lavi Institute – create a login and gain access to 1 free ethics course and 1 free supervision course Cost: Free
- 2022 update: Looks like previous free courses from Super Duper Inc and Linguigraphica are no longer available
- The Informed SLP: Considerations for Ethical Practice Length: 1 Hour Cost: $10 for members, $28 for non members (PS: see my review of the membership here!)
- ABA Speech: Ethics – An Overview Focusing on Social Media and Collaboration Length: 2 Hours Cost: $9.99
- Bilinguistics: Ethical Considerations for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations Length: 2 Hours Cost: $30
- Northern Speech Services: Ethics 1: Evidence and Clinical Decision Making Length: 1 Hour Cost: $24
- Northern Speech Services: Ethics 2: Patient Values & Clinician Bias Length: 1 hour Cost: $24
- Northern Speech Services: Ethics, Evidence, & Pediatric Decision Making Length: 1 hour Cost: $24
- Northern Speech Services: Pediatric Feeding and Swallowing: Ethics Across Settings Ensuring Quality of Care Through Collaboration Length: 1 hour Cost: $24
- Northern Speech Services: Ethics, Evidence, and Clinical Decision Making Length: 3 hours Cost: $59
- Professional Development Resources: Ethics for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Length: 2 hours Cost: $29
- SpeechPathology.com: Several 1 to 1.5 hour courses available in the unlimited $99 per year membership fee, including: Ethical Decision Making, Addressing Ethical Challenges Associated with Serving Children with Swallowing and Feeding Disorders in the Schools, Mentoring, Professionalism, and Ethics in Practicum Students and Colleagues, and Supervision of Supervisees in an Ethical Manner. BONUS: Get one free course if you haven’t been a member of the site before by using the code “1FREECOURSE”
- SpeechTherapyPD.com: Several 1 hour courses and one 2 hour course available in the unlimited $89 per year membership fee, but also available to be purchased individually, including: Ethics and Early Intervention ($24.99 individually), Ethics of Early Intervention ($24.99 individually), Finding an Ethical Place to Work ($29.99 individually), and Navigating the Gray: Ethical Practice ($34.99 individually)
Don’t forget to sign up for my email newsletter to get more helpful SLP content, delivered straight to your inbox!
Thanks so much much for sharing these sites!